Monday, August 31, 2009

$131, Beans, Ground Beef, Mac & Cheese

I went and filed for my unemployment benefits today. 3 1/2 hours of sitting, getting on the computer, sitting, interviewing, and sitting, there was lots of sitting, I found out I'll be receiving $131 a week. It will take about 3 weeks before the first debit card will arrive. I'd better have a job by then! Thank goodness I decided that my daughter could pay me only once a month when I was working. I'll have a months pay tomorrow to live on, plus a little from last month, plus a little Patty Lou doesn't know about, so I'm not worried too much , ...yet. Just wait until October and me with no job. I'll be a raving lunatic!

We're getting every federal, state, and local help agency involved with us again. I hate that. I said I'd never do that again, now, here I am. We had to do that about 30 years ago when the kids were little. It was because of me not being able to tame those transgender thoughts whirling in my head. I couldn't stay out of a dress long enough to hold a job, I'd get fired. It's ironic that I've just been laid off from a job after being full time for over 2 1/2 years, and I'll be that way when I go back to work. Yep, made that decision today, no other choice really. But what pushed my decision that direction was today's experience. While everyone could tell I'm in-between genders, no one cared. Every pronoun was correct, there wasn't any giggles, not even a knowing grin from employees or from the clients waiting. Not one thing in the 3 & 1/2 hours I was there could even remotely be considered derogatory. And I even had to be called Steven. (first on the fix-it list!!!) I'll put this lay off/job search in it's proper place as part of my RLE, where it belongs, just like any other girl would have to do.

Stephanie

5 comments:

Amy K. said...

Way to go on being true to yourself! I wish you the best of luck in your job search. Folks like us need all the help we can get. Oh yeah, a few understanding employers help too. Almost forgot about that part. ...well, okay, not really. ;)

Leslie Ann said...

Yes! A healthy, positive attitude is the first thing a prospective employer notices. You can't fake that. You're getting into the proper frame of mind to tackle this. I feel good about your chances.

Melissa said...

Good for you, girl! I suspect you aren't the first TG girl they have ever dealt with, at the unemployment office. $131 per isn't much to live on, but it's a lot better than nothing. Here's hoping you are back to work, before you ever need to use that debit card!

Melissa XX

alan said...

Glad you're going to be you! Also glad to know that some places do get things right with all the horror stories I read!

Lots of good recipe sites out there on the net if you're surfing for ways to change up the basics...

Thanks for the advice...that was not a possibility I'd considered!]

alan

Calie said...

Hi Steph. Nice to see you up for this post. Keep this positive attitude. It will help you in the job interviews.

Calie xx